Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Time to clean up and clear out

About a year ago we moved into our 3 bedroom townhouse thinking WOW there is a lot of room for us here.  Now only one year later we have filled it... Filled it with what? Where did all of this stuff come from.  Honestly I think a lot of it we had been bring around from one place to the next getting new things and storing the old.  So its out with the old and NO MORE NEW!

Clutter, anxiety, stress are practically all combined.  At least for me they are.  I have this idea that if I didn't have as much stuff, there would be less work to do.  Therefore when I go to bed at night and my head hits the pillow I can sleep.  Not worry about how many dishes are still in the sink or whether or not I folded the laundry in the dryer.  I would just like to live a simpler life.



So who is with me? You ready to clean, simplify and just darn get rid of your crap?!

Step One: Pick one space at a time.

Step Two: Go through everything and really decided; have a used that? Will I use that? When did I last use that? Don't dwell on it too long or you'll keep too much.


Step Three: Organize; Toss, Donate, Keep


Step Four: Put things away in an organized way, get bins or totes label things to keep or store.  Make sure you have room for what you are keeping. Also put things back to where they actually go.  


Step Five: Go to Goodwill or Salvation Army and GET RID OF IT (quickly before you change your mind)


First Room Kitchen.  I couldn't believe the amount of gadgets, cups, coffee mugs, bake-ware I accumulated throughout the years.  Darn those Pampered Chef parties.  So I decided to sort, how many times have I really used that?  Will I use that within a year?  And I donated a ton of things. Also don't forget your food.  You will be shocked at some of the expired things you forgot to use.

Second Room Bathroom.  I went through make-up, tons of makeup.  Tossed old things, things I didn't like, things I never used.  Got rid of expired medicines I used maybe once (make sure to safely dispose these).  Tossed samples, stuff accumulated from hotels, old cleaning supplies, old shower curtains, anything I haven't used and wont.

Third Linen Closet.   From the bathroom I figured then head to the linen closet.  I donated old blankets and towels to the local SPCA.

Fourth Bedroom.  First area in my bedroom was the closet.  I grabbed quickly as to not change my mind.  Tossing clothes I purchased just because they were on sale, things that didn't fit correctly, or totally out of fashion.  Then I went through the dresser.  How many pairs of socks, pj's and T-shirt do I need?  I got rid of tons. Selling some Donating most.  My husband did the same.  Then I went to the tops of dresser getting rid of some of the silly things I don't need trinkets, papers.  Then the bedside table.  I couldn't believe the amount of crud I put in there.  I don't even think use anything in there.  Then I just picked everything up sitting around the room and put it away neatly.

Fifth Living Room.  This one was pretty easy as I don't keep much in here.  I got rid of old magazines.  Some people may be able to go through trinkets, and update picture frames.  

Sixth Entry.  Get rid of old unused shoes, coats.  In my entry I have baskets full of drop your crap and go.  So I went through that and made sure I really needed anything in there, reminded myself where I lost some things, and put stuff away where it really belongs.

Seventh Playroom/ kids rooms.  Thank you to all of my family who purchases things for the children, but they really have too much!  I went through all of their toys donating things that I know they don't use or like. Tossing tons of goody bag trinkets.   Some things I put away in a bin for Chase or in case my daughter realizes that its gone.  Sort out clothes that don't fit anymore, got rid of some stained things. 

Eighth Basement/ Garage.  This was done with my husband.  Mostly because I needed that extra push to get rid of things that have been in storage for way too long.  I mean I know she loves the cake pop maker but does my daughter really need it?  And I had a boy so why do I need all of Taylor's old dresses and shoes?  We opened bins and boxes and really picked what we needed and didn't.  We sold a few things on craiglist but mostly donated it.  

Ninth Everyone Else.  Spaces that things accumulated, hallways, corners, counter tops, any where else you know you keep things that need to just go.  

Afterwards. So I sold some things at local consignment shops, I put things up on craiglist, and I donated a lot of stuff.  Now my goal is to keep it clean.  Next time you browse the clearance rack at Target remind yourself how nice it is to be simpler.  I hope you were able to get rid of as much as I need.  Simplistic is my newest motto.  To not want, or need excess.  I hope this helped you as much as it has helped me.

Thank you for reading, come back again!             













  


No comments:

Post a Comment