Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Restoring an old dresser into a changing table

When I was pregnant for Chase I had in my mind a dresser I wanted for him.  It was totally picked out, in my brain.  So then all I needed to do was find one.  Well I looked and looked and found some really good expensive options.  My budget wasn't a big one.  I wanted something that was small with three-ish drawers and could fit a changing pad on top.  

I set out looking at antique and second hand furniture stores.  Where we live here in the Ithaca, NY area there were quite a few places.  I went on many occasions looking at these places spending a few different weekends with my husband looking with me and also week days looking on my own.  The search took a few weeks.  Then I found it and it was not pretty.  My husband thought I was crazy!


This was the picture I sent him.  I said isn't it so perfect.... I wasn't sure myself yet. But we picked it up and made plans to restore it.  That wasn't originally our plan, but i knew this was the right one.

We got it home and realized it had possibly had some fire damage (note the dark mark on the top).  I said to him I was gonna sand it down and re-stain it, it would look great when I'm done.  He was like oh yeah, thinking I was gonna end up making him do it.  The next day he came home from work to find this:



He was shocked and a little worried I had sanded it while being pregnant for his son, but it was done. It looked so pretty almost like new.  By the end of the week I had stained it to match his crib.

This is how it turned out, before I purchased new knobs:


It is exactly what my mind had envisioned.  I'm so glad I stuck with my gut and bought it! Oh and did I mention it only cost me $60.  I already had the restoration supplies.  And this is it with the changing pad and knobs:




Thank you for reading my blog I hope you come back again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment