Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Gathering


Gathering fabric



As I started writing one of my first blogs I realized that I would be having you gather, although I know how to do it in my sleep I worried some of you may not.

Don't worry Its EASY!

First thing you need to do is change the stitch length on your machine to the highest length it will go mine is 4 some go to 5.


Then you will sew a straight line down the fabric about 1/4 inch from the edge of your fabric. Leave a longer tail of thread than you normally would.
  You do not want to back stitch the beginning or end!


You can sew one or two lines but for a better gather I would suggest two lines.  Now you will want to grab those two threads either the top stitch or the bottom stitch.  Hold all of the top or bottom which ever you chose and push over the fabric, the fabric should gather easily.  You should end up with something that looks like this.

 
After you have sewed your gathered fabric to your desired fabric you may want to carefully remove the gathered threads If your seam allowance covers them you can leave them in place and just cut the thread tails.  

Congratulations you can now gather Fabric! 


No comments:

Post a Comment