Friday, April 10, 2015

11 Freezer recipes to make 22 Meals



With the baby on the way I decided that I should come up with a plan on what we were going eat right after the arrives.  I plan on breast feeding and have a 6 year old so good nutrition is very important to us.  I had a feeling it would be a lot of take out otherwise.  I knew if I could make all the meals ahead of time then my sweet husband would just have to pop them in the oven or a pot to warm them up for supper. 

So I did what most people would do I hopped on my Pinterest and started researching yummy meals I could freeze.  I had already made a board about freezer meals a year ago.  I had planned that I would freeze meals every month to make it easier on my family to prepare when we are really busy.  Of course we got really busy and never got to it... but now is probably the best time to stop procrastinating.  

So I got down to planning.  I decided to make 11 different kids of meals and to double them so I had 22 meals.  Almost enough for a whole month.  To make it even easier picked mostly foods made with just a few varieties of meats.  I purchased 5 pounds of ground beef, 5 pounds of pork, 4 ham steaks, A dozen eggs and I had a whole frozen turkey (you wont need that much turkey).  I also tried to pick recipes that used like ingredients so that I could purchase in bulk to save money. Here is a list of the recipes that I used.

Meals Prepared:

Ground Beef/ Ground Pork
Sheppard's Pie
Meat Loaf
Chili
Meatballs
Stuffed Shells

Ham
Ham Potato Soup
Quiche
Scalloped Potatoes
Broccoli Ham & Rice

Turkey
Turkey Pot Pie
White Bean Chili





 For all the recipes I used to make my freezer meals and all the other recipes I think will make good freezer or slower cooker meals check HERE

I sat down one night and planned all my recipes, meals, ingredients and shopping list.  And headed out the next day.   I went to our local BJ's store and target to buy a lot of my food.  I buy everything organic and only spent $150 to make 22 meals!  I feel like planning everything out in advance and keeping everything simple helped save on my shopping trip!

It took me about a whole day and a huge mess to complete all of these meals.  For packaging to freeze them I put a lot in vacuum sealed bags.  For the quiche, meatloaf, potpie, and stuffed shells I purchased those toss away containers.  I found them at target for just a few dollars a piece. 


This is what my freezer currently looks like, stocked and ready for baby button!


I have a feeling soon I will be showing you my freezer full of homemade baby foods so keep checking in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment